We were away this past weekend visiting our friends in North Carolina and our flight home arrived just before 5 on Monday. After eating great food all weekend and traveling we wanted something that was easy to make and also light. This recipe from our favorite Italian chef Giada fit the bill. Within a half hour we had a hot and hearty soup on the table.
As we move into the fall season we start to crave hearty comfort foods. For the reason we try to keep our pantry stocked with basic essentials. The less trips to the store the better. This recipe had all of the essentials and made enough to bring into work for lunch.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 – 26 oz jar marinara sauce
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup pastina pasta (or any small pasta)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion, and garlic and saute until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the jar of marinara sauce, chicken broth, cannellini beans, red pepper flakes, pasta, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve.