Hubby made a easy classic dish in the crockpot last week – Stuffed Peppers. We generally make them at this time of year when we can harvest the peppers we have grown in our little garden. This year was not a good pepper year for us. Jalapeno peppers thrived while bell peppers did not take. They blossomed but then nothing. So now is a good time to pick up some peppers at.the farm market and give this recipe a try. This recipe was adapted from I Wash You Dry post.
- 5 large bell peppers (you can use a mix of red, yellow and orange too)
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (ground turkey works well too)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 tbsp A1 steak sauce
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 cup cooked brown and wild rice mix (any type of cooked rice will work)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- Cut the tops of the peppers off and discard the seeds and stems, but save the pepper portion of the tops and dice. Reserve 1/2 cup for the filling.
- Combine the diced peppers, ground beef, onion, steak sauce, tomato sauce and rice in a large bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stuff each pepper with the ground beef mixture and place in the crock pot.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of water into the bottom of the crock pot and cover. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours. Just before serving top with the shredded cheese and cover until melted. Enjoy!
The bottom of the slow cooker will have quite a bit of water after cooking from the peppers releasing their water. Use a slotted spoon to pick up the peppers and let drain before plating.