Sometimes you have to go back to the basics. A beautiful fall afternoon, leaves are beginning to turn and you have a craving for Apple Crisp. There are so many recipes out there. Apple and blackberry crisp, apple and cranberry crisp or apple orange pound cake. Too many choices… So let’s go back to the original…the one and only Betty Crocker!
- medium tart cooking apples, sliced (4 cups)
- cup packed brown sugar
- cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
- cup butter or margarine, softened
- teaspoon ground cinnamon
- teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cream or Ice cream, if desired
Heat oven to 375ºF. Grease bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan with shortening.
Spread apples in pan. In medium bowl, stir remaining ingredients except cream until well mixed; sprinkle over apples.
Bake about 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork. Serve warm with cream.